The Pressure is On. Please help us.
Hi fabulous followers and friends-
It’s happening. Today, the Directors of Significant Seams are emptying 131 Wood Street thanks to our fabulous pro bono architect – a leading UK architect in the world of regeneration who happens to live in Walthamstow – and our calm and reassuring builder – owner of a major national shop fitting company, that also happens to be based in Walthamstow, in order to hand over the keys to them to make the place ready for you and us to decorate and create the first inclusive community space in Eastern Walthamstow. Your inputs, advice and suggestions have helped us devise a quite fabulous plan for the space, and the labour of many of you has helped start to create the furnishings too.
But the pressure is on. We’ve raised £23,100 against the original £20,000 we estimated we needed… and in the meantime, we atttracted some amazing LOCAL talent who’ve added ENORMOUS value to our project. We’ve calculated the value of the design, building quality, materials we’re using, etc has been increased by £27,500, for free. The project we are delivering for our community has a value of £55,900. So, its understandable the expected (cash) costs have crept up a bit – which we figure is a LOT better than having unexpected costs! Besides we’ve gotten to know a range of fabulous neighbours along the way.
The pressure however comes from the reality that we have raised £23,100 so far, and the real costs will now be £28,400. So, we now are asking you to help us raise £5,300 to close the gap and make a colorful and creative community space for Eastern Walthamstow a reality.
Your donation will help us:
- add heating,
- rewire and improve lighting,
- level the floors and lay new flooring throughout,
- add a buggy park,
- deal with leaks! and reroof the office area,
- add a kitchenette so we can offer teas and coffees, and
- prepare the walls for decoration.
If we can achieve this, we aim to raise another £3k to install an automatic door to make access easier for buggies and wheelchair users!
So please help us make the most of this opportunity to co-create an really special space for E17.
1) Make a generous cash donation of whatever you can afford: we’ll stitch your name onto a symbolic “founders” wallhanging which will hang with pride of place in Significant Seams
2) Join the Stitch & Craft Library for a year with a one time payment of £24, a portion of your membership fee will help us buy the wood needed to build the needed shelving for this fast growing collection. You’ll also get access to this fabulous resource, and demonstrate your support of us to the council and our other funders.
3) Get your friends and neighbours to support us too!
5) Ask your employer if they’ll make a donation! Some will match employee giving.
We are a not-for-profit organisation largely run by volunteers. We aim to strengthen the seams of community. Please help us at this pivotal time.
Catherine, Debs, and Mark