The Ecology of Craft: FREE Dyemaking Summer Programme
The programme will engage young people in activities across the spectrum of steps involved in dyeing cloth… starting with a bit of wool straight from a sheep and flowers and plants which harbour dye materials within them.
- try some spinning and pounding to transform raw materials.
- make a range of colour dyebathes from natural sources readily repeatable at home.
- learn techniques to make patterns on dyed fabric via Paste Resist techniques and the lauded and slightly more involved, but still natural, techniques of Indigo dyeing.
- make handmade paper, a specialty cotton cloth
- design and create a nature journal to represent it all
To cap the programme and bring together individuals work into something representative of the ecology of the week, weaving will be taught and a collective piece used to synthesise our activities. All participants will leave with some weaving from the whole, and a personal nature/art journal and art supply case.
This distinctive and rich programme is FREE, but spaces are limited. Booking is essential. Book online now.