International Women’s Day Activities 2014
From Valentine’s Day through early March, Significant Seams (and a number of other organisations including 7days4stow, Waltham Forest Womens Network, WOMBE17, A Room of Her Own, Stow Roses, and MBS Wellbeing) encouraged Waltham Forest to think about the lives of the women we love – mothers, sisters, daughters, friends, lovers. In 2013, we hosted a V-day Rising – we danced to celebrate women. In 2014 we danced our way through the whole month, culminating in a massive celebration on International Women’s Day, 8 March 2014.
We were involved in a number of projects – along with people from across the area:
- The Women of the World Quilt (To exhibit next at the Festival of Quilts at the NEC Birmingham in 2014)
- Suffragette Sash Making Parties, supporting the re-enactment March organised by MP Stella Creasy
- Women’s Worth, WFWN’s 10th anniversary celebration (Women Only)
- Walthamstow’s Own Man’s Board Curated Inspired by Women
- Women Together, The MBS Wellbeing Conference at Wanstead Quaker Meeting House
Waltham Forest Women’s Network celebrated its 10 year anniversary this year – and the women of Waltham Forest took over Assembly Hall on 8 March in a celebration of “Women’s Worth.” We were among WFWN’s organising partners for this festival of the feminine. The event launched with the arrival of Walthamstow’s MP Stella Creasy and the reenactment march of a Suffragette Event that happened here in 1910.
Our fourth Community Quilt the “Women of the World” Quilt was a feature activity.
Kits used to make the “Women of the World” for this quilt are available now, buy online or at 131 Wood Street, for £3. Proceeds support Sew & Tell ESL, a programme that supports very isolated and vulnerable women in Waltham Forest who have low levels of literacy, difficult personal histories, and inspiring good humour and determination.